Wednesday, August 7, 2013

One of the flock... Wild Goose Ride (Day 05)

I slept in.

I fell asleep last light listening to the sound of the French Broad River flow past my campsite.  It was
such a soothing sound.  I could still hear it when I took my hearing aid out...

I woke at 8AM and put together some coffee and then made my way to the volunteer tent to check in.  The rest of the day was mine.  Yes, I screwed up.  I had the event down as starting today.  It officially starts tomorrow.  What's a fellow to do in North Carolina with a motorcycle and whole day to himself?  Well, go ride of course.

About 10AM I headed off toward Tellico Plains, TN.  My destination: Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters.  I had purchased my Olympia riding jacket from them 5 years ago and now it is just a little too big and is quite worn as well... my journey paid off.  The owner had just put a jacket the same as mine (in Grey) on the clearance rack: 50% off!  It was too good a a deal to pass up!  And, he agreed to ship my old one home for me!  I had a sandwich to beat all sandwiches at the Tellico Grains Bakery and listened to a group of fellows share some stories of the road... they were down to the area as a group from New Jersey.

With my belly full, sporting a new jacket I headed off down the Cherohola Skyway.  This will be the third time I've ridden this road... and hopefully it won't be my last!!!  Six years ago I rode it with Gordon Green and company and two years ago with Al Wallace.  The weather was not as good this time, but the rain did hold off and I was able to enjoy riding in and out of the midst and clouds.
The Rattler NC #212

I got back to Hot Springs at about 5PM but it was not without an adventure.  Millie brought me in the back way - which would not have been an issue had it not been for the pouring rain!  The "back way" is also known as the Rattler... use your imagination!!  Needless to say... I went very very very slow and made it back to Hot Springs in one piece!

As I ate supper I called home (missed Anna :-( ), responded to a bunch of emails, updated a couple of websites and wrote these words... there's lots more on my mind but I need to process it some more before I put it to screen!

On the Sabbath Road...
(Safe and sound in Hot Springs, NC)

1 comment:

  1. Looks beautiful! If you're riding through the Chapel Hill area, we'd love to have you over for lunch or supper!

    Whitney (Chapman/White)

    919-448-1510

    ReplyDelete